Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Larry's Grey Water Recycling System ... Part II ... The Plumbing

Now, with the garden modified, I was ready to move forward and tackle the biggest challenge in all of this: re-plumbing the bathrooms with separate grey and black water lines.
This is the part that can cost you depending on the type of house you have. I have a single story home and the bathrooms are back to back sharing the plumbing, so both bathrooms needed to be done at the same time. If your handy, like I am, it will only cost you your time and the cost of the materials. Our bathrooms date back to 1971, so it was time for a remodel anyhow and I did a complete tear-out of everything.

My wife just happened to be headed to Germany with the kids for a month (I only had a week of vacation on the company books and could not go along) so I took the week off after they left and stripped both bathrooms down to the beams. Within a 7 day period I managed to complete all the plumbing and one bathroom with new walls and fixtures. I am now ready to compete with any of those home remodeling shows.

See??? Nothing left.

So this is how thing got taken care of
for a couple of days... it's a man's bathroom!
Aaaahhhhrrr!!
The plumbing we are interested in for this project is the drain lines. I ran two separate lines out to the main sewer line just outside the house.




In this pic, it's the black water line only.... so far...

The black water line is connected directly to the sewer. The grey water line goes to a “Y” with a slide valve on each end. One valve leads to the sewer and the other to the grey water recycling system. This gives you the ability to switch to the sewer while you are building your grey water recycling system or repairing it.


Here, both lines and the valves are in.


Making it look pretty :-)

I had it set to sewer for a few months while I completed the bathroom remodels and worked on the design/fabrication of the grey water recycler.
In my next entry I'll talk about running a line to the grey water recylcer. To finish up this post, I'll show you the pictures of the finished bathrooms. All it was missing here, were the light above the mirror, towel bars (my wife wanted to pick those when she returned), and some wall decorations (also not my department).




No comments:

Post a Comment